United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Displays Standard German Air-Raid Shelter Door, Describing it as the Door to a "Gas Chamber"
At left: The door at the concentration camp Majdanek from which the USHMM made the replica which is now on display in Washington D.C.
At right: The real function of the door and thousands more like it is shown in a widely distributed German ad for bomb-shelter doors and window covers, military and civilian.
For a complete analysis of the identity of anti-gas warfare air raid equipment and "gas chamber" fixtures, based on contemporary German civil defense literature, read:
- Technique and Operation of German Anti-Gas Shelters in World War Two: A Refutation of J.C. Pressac's "Criminal Traces", by Samuel Crowell
For a discussion of air raid shelters and gas protection in Germany, read:
- Defending Against the Allied Bombing Campaign: Air Raid Shelters and Gas Protection in Germany, 1939-1945, by Samuel Crowell
- Part 1 of "Defending" focuses on the civil defense establishment throughout Germany.
- Part 2 discusses the question of civil defense in the concentration camp system, and, in particular, the context of the Majdanek "gas chamber" door, a replica of which is now on display at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- Letter from Samuel Crowell to the Director of the U.S.H.M.M.
- The Gas Chamber of Sherlock Holmes: An Attempt at a Literary Analysis of the Gassing Claim, by Samuel Crowell. In this study, Crowell put the pieces together for a much broader view of how the gassing stories came about. Note: In early 2011 this book appeared as a hardcopy. It can be ordered from Amazon, among others.
For additional information read:
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Displays Standard Air-Raid Shelter Door Replica as "Gas Chamber" Door, by David Thomas
- A Revisionist Challenge to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, by Bradley R. Smith
- The U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum: A Costly and Dangerous Mistake, by Theodore J. O'Keefe
Concerned Americans are urged to ask the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum whether the "Gas Chamber" door display is a misinterpretation or a misrepresentation.
Write to the USHMM at the following address:
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
Washington, D.C. 20024-2150
Additional information about this document
|Title:||WWII Air Raid Equipment and the "Gas Chamber" Hysteria|
|First posted on CODOH:||June 29, 1997, 7 p.m.|