The Morgues of the Crematoria at Birkenau in the Light of Documents
This document is part of a periodical (The Revisionist).
Use this menu to find more documents that are part of this periodical.
IV. The Detainee Sick-Bay of Construction Section III at Birkenau
1. The comments of Jean-Claude Pressac
In his first study of Auschwitz, which appeared in 1989, Jean-Claude Pressac has shown a drawing of construction section III of Birkenau (plan no. 2521) drawn in Berlin on June 4, 1943. On this document, which carries the designation "CC Auschwitz – construction section III. Detainee sick-bay a. quarantine sec." Construction section III is subdivided into two quarantine camps, one for men and one for women, for 4,088 persons each and two hospital areas, one for men and one for women, for 3,188 persons each. The two hospital areas contain two barracks for "surgery," 2 barracks for "X-ray and treatment," 2 barracks for "pharmacy," 4 "barracks for freshly operated cases" and 4 "barracks for the seriously ill." Pressac shows, moreover, the drawing (plan no. 2417) of a "sick-bay barrack for detainees" for CC Auschwitz, done the following day, in which we find 6 rooms, 2 for 30 beds, 2 for 24 beds, and 2 for 18 beds.
The French historian has commented on these documents in the following manner:
"The drawing on Photo 20 (that of 4 June1943) is a real godsend for the revisionists. Concerning the initial arrangement for the third construction stage at Birkenau (PoW camp Bauabschnitt III), it formally states that this was to serve only as a mixed quarantine and hospital camp. There is INCOMPATIBILITY in the creation of a health camp a few hundred yards from four Krematorien where, according to official history, people were exterminated on a large scale. Drawing 2471 of a barracks for sick prisoners planned for BA.III (Photo 21) showing in detail the arrangement of the bunks supports this demonstration. The two drawings date from June 1943, when the Bauleitung was completing the construction of the four new Krematorien, and it is obvious that PoW camp Birkenau cannot have had at one and the same time two opposing functions: health care and extermination. The plan for building a very large hospital section in BA.III thus shows that the Krematorien were built purely for incineration, without any homicidal gassings, because the SS wanted to 'maintain' its concentration camp labour force.
This argument seems logical and is not easy to counter. The drawings exist, and what is more they come from SS Economic Administration Head Office in Berlin, so it was no local humanitarian initiative." (Capitals in the original)
Pressac, however, stated that he had found a document contradicting "this plausible, but theoretical, reasoning":
"The decisive argument proving that drawing 2521 was only a PROJECT, is to compare it with an overall plan of Birkenau, drawing 3764 of 23/3/44 (Photo 22), where BA.III no longer has 16,600 occupants as planned, but 60,000, i.e. the occupancy rate of the barracks has increased fourfold, the degree of crowding now being comparable to that of BA.II. Under these circumstances it becomes nonsense to talk of 'hospital barracks.'" (capitals and bold-face in the original)
But is this really a decisive argument? And did the hospital camp really remain only a "project"? Many documents unknown to Pressac allow us to give an exhaustive and unequivocal answer to these questions.
2. Genesis and Realization of the Camp Hospital Project of Construction Section III at Birkenau
As we have seen in section I, SS Brigadeführer Kammler officially transmitted the written order to the Auschwitz commander concerning "special measures for the improvement of hygienic installations" in the Birkenau camp on May 14, 1943.
Within the scope of these measures, Kammler ordered construction section III of the Birkenau camp to be turned into a hospital for the detainees on May 17, 1943, as can be seen from a letter written by Bischoff to the SS garrison physician on July 15, 1943, which starts with these words:
"On May 17  the construction of a hospital for detainees in construction section III of the PoW camp was ordered by SS Brigadeführer and Major General of the Waffen-SS Dr.-Ing. Kammler."
The project was entrusted to Office C of the SS WVHA, more specifically to SS Sturmbannführer Wirtz, head of Office C/III – technical questions, and to SS Untersturmführer Birkigt, head of division hospitals and sick-bays, who were also the persons signing the drawing 2521 of June 4, 1943, in collaboration with Obersturmführer Grosch, head of main department C/III/1, civil engineering. In a memo dated May 28, 1943, Birkigt, speaking of himself in the third person, writes:
"As ordered by the head of Office Group C it is urgently required to have SS Ustuf Birkigt start soonest with the elaboration of the total sanitary installations at Auschwitz in cooperation with the Central Construction Office and the garrison physician. The camp is to be equipped with a special quarantine area for 8,000 to 12,000 patients. Within this number, 2,5 to 4,000 are to be permanent, the remainder as movable enlargement possibility as already planned for Lublin."
On June 1, Bischoff sent Kammler a letter concerning "Immediate measures in PoW camp for improvement of hygienic installations," in which he requested the approval of the projects so far elaborated, among them:
"Planning of construction section III as hospital section for 8 – 10,000 detainees, complete with isolation section and quarantine, separately for men and women."
Between May 31 and June 2, Birkigt was at Auschwitz to discuss with the local staff the "special measures in PoW camp Auschwitz." In a note dated June 4 he writes:
"As ordered by Head of Office Group C, SS Ustuf (F) Birkigt held local discussions with Head of Central Construction Auschwitz, SS Stubaf Bischoff, and the engineer in charge, SS-Ustuf Janisch, in order to clarify the basis for the special measures planned for PoW camp-Auschwitz"
Birkigt then lists the decisions taken with respect to the camp hospital:
The lay-out of construction section 3 was discussed, and was sketched out by myself.
An inspection on-site yielded that the first three rows of barracks and part of the fourth have already been set up.
According to the Central Construction Office, only 89 barracks are available for the hospital area. Therefore, Head of Central Construction wishes that at least the 16 special barracks be taken from the 1000-bed hospitals east. These will then have to be adapted to the standard size of 42 x 50 (There is a problem in that, for transportation of these barracks, some 120 – 140 freight cars will be needed. It appears possible to revamp the RLM barracks. This will be taken care of by C II.
A sketched proposal for the revamping of an RLM barrack was handed over to Central Construction Office; number of beds 150 in case of double bunks"
On June 1, the Polish detainee Stefan Millauer (ID no. 63003) had already prepared for Central Construction Office the drawing of a "wooden housing barrack (Luftwaffe type) sick-bay barrack" for construction section III.
As we have seen above, on June 4 Wirtz and Birkigt prepared drawing no. 2521 "CC Auschwitz, construction section III, detainee hospital and quarantine area," and on June 5 they did drawing no. 2471 "sick-bay barrack for detainees."
Drawing 2637 of Central Construction Office – undated, but no doubt done in June of 1943 – represents the lay-out of the men's area "detainee sick-bay in Construction section 3 of PoW camp." It shows in detail the barracks for freshly operated patients (6a) and for the seriously ill (6b).
An "listing of the barracks needed for carrying out the special measures in the PoW camp," dated June 11, 1943, mentions a total of 183 barracks for "construction section III (detainee hospital)" 183 barracks, (plus another two for the "guard hospital") among which:
- 4 special barracks 6a (freshly operated patients)
- 4 special barracks 6b (seriously ill)
- 2 special barracks 2 (X-ray and treatment)
- 2 special barracks 1 (surgery)
- 111 barracks for normal patients
Construction work started at the end of June. By July 13th 26 barracks were already erected, and the work on the circular sewer as well as on a temporary settling basin had started.
On July 19 Bischoff protested because the firm Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke had taken over two barracks of construction section III without authorization:
"In order to carry out the erection of a detainee hospital in construction section III as ordered by SS Brigadeführer and Major General of the Waffen-SS Dr.-Ing. Kammler on May 15, a utilization during the construction phase is not possible. The erection of the hospital has already started and, as is known, each barrack shall be equipped with sanitary installations (washing and toilet facilities)."
By July 31 another 6 barracks had been set up. Furthermore, two circular sewers had been dug and work on the enclosure had started. On the same day, the SS garrison physician complained to Bischoff that "individual drawings" of 8 types of barracks were still missing "in the general plan of the detainee hospital and the quarantine section." In his "Explanatory report on the enlargement of the PoW camp of Waffen-SS at Auschwitz, Upper Silesia" which Bischoff wrote on September 30, 1943, the sector of construction section III of the camp was described as follows:
"Construction section III
|– BW 3e||114 barracks for patients|
|– BW 4c||5 utility barracks|
|– BW 4e||2 utility barracks type 260/9|
|– BW 4f||13 storage and laundry barracks type 260/9|
|– BW 4f||4 storage and laundry barracks type 501/34|
|– BW 6c||4 disinfestation barracks type VII/5|
|– BW 7c||11 barracks for medical staff (Swiss type)|
|– BW 12b||12 barracks for seriously ill patients 501/34|
|– BW 12d||2 barracks for block leaders type IV/3|
|– Transformation of an existing house for special measures|
|– BW 33a||3 barracks for special measures type 260/9"|
On September 25, brick work was going on in barracks 68, 70, 71, 74, 89, 91, 92 and 93, carpentry work in barracks 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 94, 128 and 146.
On October 1, 1943, Jothann, who had just succeeded Bischoff as head of Central Construction Office, elaborated a "cost estimate for the enlargement of the PoW camp of Waffen-SS at Auschwitz," in which the estimated cost was calculated for each building, built or planned. For construction section III, designated "detainee hospital," which comprised the buildings listed in the explanatory report mentioned above, the cost estimates were as follows:
|– "BW 3e||114 barracks for patients||4,542,216 RM|
|– BW 4c||5 utility barracks||138,150 "|
|– BW 4e||2 utility barracks||167,304 "|
|– BW 4f||13 storage and laundry barracks||241,618 "|
|– BW 4f||4 storage and laundry barracks||127,500 "|
|– BW 6c||4 disinfestation barracks||80,940 "|
|– BW 7c||11 barracks for medical staff||103,488 "|
|– BW 12b||12 barracks for seriously ill patients||515,625 "|
|– BW 12d||2 barracks for block leaders||16,240 "|
|– Transformation of an existing house for special measures||14,242 "|
|– BW 33a||3 barracks for special measures||55,758 "|
|– Total||6,003,081 RM"|
On October 5, Jothann wrote as follows about the state of advancement of the work on the "hospital for the detainees":
"As the most urgent items, barrack types 1-2 – 6a and 6b were erected. In total, there are 12 for the section of seriously ill patients, as well as surgery and X-ray barracks. Except for one, all of these barracks have been erected as a shell. For 9 barracks, all inner walls and the chimneys, to the extent that they had to be erected in addition, have been executed in brick. On 4 of them, plastering has already been started on these walls. The erection of connecting passages between these barracks is complete. Eight barracks of type 7 have been erected as a shell, and brickwork has started on walls and chimneys. Furthermore, since March (sic) 43, 4 laundry barracks of type no. 9, 3 kitchen barracks of type no. 12, and 20 sick-bay barracks of type no. 7, i.e. altogether 47 barracks have been erected as a shell."
Jothann then mentions the state of advancement for the enclosure, for roadworks (access roads, camp roads, and connections), drainage, leveling, and sewage treatment, for which 4 sedimentation basins had been nearly completed. In a file memo of October 11, Jothann refers to the visit to Auschwitz by Mr. A. Knauth, owner of the Dresden company of the same name, from which the remaining barracks for the camp hospital of Construction section III had been ordered.
"Mr. Knauth, from Dresden, was introduced to the department head, Obersturmführer (F) Jothann, and an inspection of the works was ordered. On site, it was found that the special barracks (sic) for operated (patients) had been completed and could be commenced right away.
The following was agreed on, among other things:
"For the housing barracks which occur 111 times, prices were reduced considerably, because the order is large and a single one; a new offer thus became necessary."
In a report of October 30, Jothann announced:
"So far, 47 barracks came to be erected. On these, the interior works, i.e. brick and plaster works, are being executed at present. Furthermore, the pole gridwork has been completed for another 7 barracks and erection of the barracks is to begin within the next few days."
The later reports, up to the end of November, mentioned the advancement of erection of the barracks and ancillary works for the construction of the "detainee sick-bay" of construction section III.
On February 24, 1944, Jothann transmitted a request for metal from the Knauth company to the construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien, explaining:
"This concerns the allotment of 1844.4 kg of zinc-aluminum and 87.8 kg of brass for the valves and other fittings needed for construction section III of the detainee hospital and quarantine camp of the PoW camp. [...]
Justification of the amounts requested is based on the fact that BA III of the PoW camp will comprise a total of 180 barracks including kitchen, operating, treatment, sick-bay and quarantine barracks."
In his "Report on state of construction works at CC Auschwitz including employment of detainees" dated March 25, 1944, Jothann writes the following:
"In construction section III of the PoW camp, only the two middle sections have been started for the time being. Almost all barracks have been erected, the internal works have started."
On March 31, 1944, 700 detainees were working in Construction section III. The sites, as ordered by Kammler, were to stop working for three days, and the detainees were instead to be employed in construction section I and II.
On the day the Birkenau drawing 3764 was made, to which J.-C. Pressac refers, March 23, 1944, the Central Construction Office was still working on the realization of the planned "detainee sick-bay" of construction section III. Let us examine how the apparent contradiction between the drawings 2521 and 3764, that the French historian has noted, can be explained.
In 1944, the Central Construction Office defined all the bureaucratic practices that applied to the camp hospital. On May 25, Jothann wrote an "Explanatory report regarding the enlargement of the PoW camp of Waffen-SS at Auschwitz O/S. Erection of 111 barracks for patients," in which we can read:
"The works were started on March 15, 1943. 37 barracks are finished and the interior work partly done."
The corresponding cost estimate that Jothann drew up the same day states a total sum of 3,799,000 RM. Both documents show the "preliminary verification" stamp of the construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police "Schlesien" (dated June 27, 1944) and the "verified" stamp of Office C/II of SS WVHA (dated July 13, 1944). On August 10, 1944, the head of Office C/V (central construction inspectorate) of SS WVHA, who had received the above-mentioned documentation on June 26, emitted retroactively – in keeping with bureaucratic practices – the corresponding construction order:
"Based on the documents submitted, I hereby give the order to erect 111 barracks for patients in PoW camp, camp II, Auschwitz, BA III, BW e3 and 3f."
On the subject of the state of the works, the letter, addressed to construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police "Schlesien" states:
"Because of the urgency, work has already started. Regular reports are requested concerning advancement and state of works."
The construction request for the "12 barracks for seriously ill patients" was sent by Jothann to construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police "Schlesien" on August 12, 1944. The documentation comprised an "explanatory report [...] Erection of 12 barracks for seriously ill patients," which said that the works had started on July 15, 1943, a "budget estimate" of 373,000 RM, and an "attachment to cost estimate for 12 barracks for seriously ill patients" on the subject of the labor cost involved. On October 31, Office C/V of SS WVHA gave the corresponding construction order and also acknowledges the "construction request for the erection of 11 barracks for medical personnel" submitted by Bischoff on October 9, 1944.
On May 31, 1944, 63 barracks existed in construction section III. The deportation of the Hungarian Jews caught the Central Construction Office completely unprepared and upset the projects regarding the camp hospital.
In early June, construction section III, in spite of the fact that it was still uninhabitable, was transformed (together with camp BIIc and parts of camps BIIa and BIIe) into a "transit camp" for unregistered Jews destined to be moved to other camps. On June 2, Kammler ordered Jothann to relinquish 14 barracks of construction section III to house these Jews, but the head of Central Construction Office refused. Asked by Kammler to state his reasons, Jothann explained that it could not be done "for reasons of hygiene and sanitation." Jothann obviously had to follow suit, and on June 2, 1944 the commander of CC Auschwitz II, SS Hauptsturnführer Kramer, yielded the 14 barracks.
On June 16, 1944, "The hygienist with construction inspectorate "Schlesien," SS Obersturmführer Weber, sent to the head of this construction inspectorate and, for information, to the "Reich physician SS and Police. Supreme Hygienist" in Berlin a report on the subject "PoW camp – construction section III," which opens with these words:
"In connection with an inspection of the well gallery at Birkenau, a visit was made on June 15, 1944, to the newly occupied construction section III of PoW camp Birkenau. The first transport of detainees arrived on June 9, 1944. Presently, the construction section is occupied by 7,000 detainees (Jews).
From the point of view of construction as well as hygiene, this construction section is in no way ready for occupancy, because it lacks even the most primitive sanitary installations."
According to the report, the detainees lived in rather precarious circumstances:
"The housing barracks, according to information supplied by medical orderly SS Oberscharführer Scherpel, are occupied by 800 to 1,000 detainees. Covering of the barracks with roofing felt is still incomplete, and the connecting camp roads are still under construction. In the absence of bedsteads the detainees are sleeping on the floor."
After having described the absence of water supply and sewage installations, the report speaks about the quarantine measures:
"As the detainees of construction section III are to be rapidly used for work, a proper quarantine is not carried out. If major delays with respect to the employment are to be avoided in case of an epidemic, it is necessary to subdivide the camp into 4 separate fields by means of enclosures, in place of the usual quarantine measures. In this way, at least part of the detainees can be continued to be employed or moved away in case of an epidemic."
Weber concludes his report as follows:
"Due to the occupancy of construction section III before completion of the construction works there is an immediate risk of an epidemic break-out due to the absence of the most basic hygienic conditions."
As I have explained elsewhere, the enormous arrival of Hungarian Jews caught the Central Construction Office completely by surprise. The Central Construction Office was not even able to furnish decent housing for a large number of the future forced laborers of the Reich, and this goes all the more for the alleged extermination installations. On September 23, the project of a camp hospital at Birkenau was definitely abandoned, as results from a letter Jothann wrote to the construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien on the subject "Erection of 12 barracks for seriously ill in BA.III-BW 12b" dated December 6, 1944:
"On the occasion of the meeting with Head of Main office, the abandonment of work on BA III of PoW camp was ordered, and dismantling of the 12 barracks for seriously ill patients was begun."
What remains to be explained is why, in spite of the fact that works were still in progress on the hospital camp of construction section III, the Central Construction Office drawing 3764 of March 23, 1944, shows this part of the camp to be intended for 60,000 detainees. The explanation of this apparent contradiction is quite simple and concerns the working procedures of the construction bureau of the Central Construction Office, where the technical drawings were made – for the most part by engineers, architects, and draftsmen from among the detainees. To save time and materials, copies were made from each drawing, on which later modifications of the project were marked. This also goes for the "Situation plan of the PoW camp" no. 3764, drawn by Polish detainee Stefan Millauer (ID no. 63003) on March 23, 1944, and countersigned by Jothann the next day. This drawing was done to show the positions of the 111 "barracks for patients" of construction section III, in which the rectangles representing the barracks were shown in red. According to the procedure, this situation plan shows three stamps: the one – already mentioned – for the preliminary verification by the construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien (dated June 27, 1944), the one of the final verification by Office C/II of SS WVHA (dated July 13, 1944), and then the one showing its registration in the list of drawings "entered in plan distribution book" dated May 22, 1944.
As can be seen from the three stamps, this situation plan was part of the documentation Jothann had sent to the construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien on May 25, 1944, i.e. the "Explanatory report on the enlargement of the PoW camp of Waffen-SS at Auschwitz, Upper Silesia. Erection of 111 barracks for patients" and the corresponding cost estimate. These three documents – explanatory note, cost estimate, and lay-out – were actually indispensable, if approval for the construction of any sort of building was to be obtained. The explanatory note, in fact, refers explicitly to this situation plan:
"The arrangement of buildings in the area available results from the attached situation plan."
A copy of this situation plan was later used to show the positions of the 6 corpse chambers (BW 3b and 3d), i.e., it was attached as a situation plan for these buildings to the "explanatory report for the enlargement of Lager II of Waffen-SS at Auschwitz O/S. Erection of 6 corpse chambers," drawn up by Jothann on June 12, 1944, and verified by construction inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien on August 28, 1944, the same date is shown in the stamp "verified" of the construction inspectorate placed on the situation plan no. 3764. The stamp of registration in the "plan distribution book" has the date of July 18, 1944. The 6 corpse chambers were to be built in construction section I and II, and precisely below these, in the situation plan in question, there appears unmistakably:
"The corpse chambers to be included are marked in red on the situation plan."
Let us look at the copy of situation plan 3764 published by J.-C. Pressac: on this copy we can read "Construction section-3 for 60,000 pris." The document does not show any verification stamp, only the stamp of registration in the "plan distribution book," dated Dec. 7, 1944. It is thus clear that it refers to a project later than that of the 111 barracks for patients and to that of the 6 corpse chambers. It thus undoubtedly dates from the autumn of 1944.
In conclusion, because the camp hospital was planned and partly realized and because Pressac's "decisive argument" to the contrary is worthless, what he has written remains fully valid:
"There is INCOMPATIBILITY in the creation of a health camp a few hundred yards from four Krematorien where, according to official history, people were exterminated on a large scale...
The plan for building a very large hospital section in BA.III thus shows that the crematoria were built purely for incineration, without any homicidal gassings, because the SS wanted to "maintain" its concentration camp labor force.
Archiwum Głównej Komisji Badania Zbrodni Przeciwko Narodowi Polskiemu Instytutu Pamieci Narodowej (Archive of the central commission of inquiry into the crimes committed against the Polish people – national museum)
Archiwum Państwowe w Katowicach (Kattowitz state archive)
Archiwum Panstwowego Muzeum w Oswiecimiu (Archive of the national museum at Auschwitz)
Bundesarchiv Koblenz (German federal archives)
Gosudarstvenni Archiv Rossiskoi Federatsii (State archive of the Russian federation), Moscow
Rossiiskii Gosudarstvennii Vojennii Archiv (Russian state archive of the war, ex TCIDK – Tsentr Chranenija Istoriko-dokumental'nich Kollektsii, Center for the conservation of historico-documentary collections, Moscow)
Vojensky Historicky Archiv (War history archive), Prague
|||Jean-Claude Pressac, Auschwitz: Technique and Operation of the Gas chambers, Beate-Klarsfeld-Foundation, New York 1989, p. 512.|
|||Ibidem, p. 513.|
|||According to letter from Bischoff dated July 19, 1943, on May 15, 1943. Cf. below.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 115.|
|||The drawing was countersigned by SS-Hauptsturmführer Wirths, SS garrison physician of Auschwitz to show his approval of the project.|
|||Memo by Birkigt dated May 28, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 270. On the subject of hygienic installations at the Lublin-Majdanek camp cf. the report by SS Untersturmführer Birkigt dated March 20, 1943, published in: J. Graf, C. Mattogno, Concentration Camp Majdanek, Theses & Dissertations Press, Chicago 2003, pp. 62f.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 133.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-83, pp. 267-268.|
|||RLM = Reichsluftfahrtministerum, ministry for air.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-110, p. 5.|
|||"Häftlingsrevier im Bauabschnitt '3' des K.G.L. Lageplan des männlichen Teils," RGVA, 502-2-110, page number illegible.|
|||Barrack number on drawings 2521 and 2637.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-79, p. 100.|
|||"Bericht über den Fortgang der Arbeiten für die Sondermaßnahmen im KGL. und im Stammlager" written by Bischoff on July 13, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 119.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 111.|
|||"Bericht über den Fortgang der Arbeiten für die Sondermaßnahmen im KGL. und im Stammlager" written by Bischoff on July 31, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 100.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-332, p. 196.|
|||"Erläuterungsbericht zum Ausbau des Kriegsgefangenenlagers der Waffen-SS in Auschwitz/OS," RGVA, 502-2-60, p. 81.|
|||"Bericht über den Fortgang der Arbeiten für die Sondermaßnahmen im KGL. und im Stammlager" written by Bischoff on September 25, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, pp. 215-216.|
|||Bischoff became head of Construction Inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien.|
|||"Kostenvoranschlag zum Ausbau des Kriegsgefangenenlagers der Waffen-SS in Auschwitz," RGVA, 502-2-60, pp. 86f.|
|||"Meldung über den Stand der Bauarbeiten im Häftlingalazarett K.G.L. Bauabschnitt III, Stichtag 1. Oktober 1943," written by Jothann on October 5, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, pp. 396-397.|
|||Barrack type 1: "Spezialbaracke 1 (Chirurgische)" = surgery; type 2: "Spezialbaracke 2 (Röntgen- und Behandlung)" = x-rays and treatment.|
|||Barrack type 6a: "Spezialbaracke 6a (Frisch Operierte)" = freshly operated; type 6b: "Spezialbaracke 6b (Schwere Innere)" = serious inner (injuries).|
|||File memo by Jothann dated October 11, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 395.|
|||"Bericht über den Fortgang der Bauarbeiten für die Sondermaßnahmen im KGL," written by Jothann on October 30, 1943. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 198.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 158.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 38.|
|||Letter from Bischoff to Jothann dared March 31, 1944. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 34.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-110, pp. 1-1a.|
|||Error for May 15, 1943.|
|||RGVA,502-2-110, p. 3.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-281, p. 49.|
|||RGVA 502-1-261, p. 117.|
|||RGVA 502-2-110, pp. 38-38a.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-110, pp.40-41.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-110, pp. 42-43.|
|||RGVA, 502-1.281, p. 47.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-281, page number illegible.|
|||Aerial photograph of Birkenau dated May 31, 1944. National Archives, Washington D.C., Mission 60 PRS/462 60SQ, Can D 1508, Exposure 3056.|
|||Telex from head of Office C of SS WVHA to Central Construction Office dated June 2, 1944. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 5.|
|||Telex from Jothann to Kammler dated June 2, 1944. RGVA, 502-1.83, p. 2.|
|||Letter from Jothann to Construction Inspectorate of the Waffen-SS and Police Schlesien, dated June 2, 1944. RGVA, 502-1-83, p. 3.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-168, pp. 6-6a.|
|||"Die Deportation ungarischer Juden von Mai bis Juli 1944. Eine provisorische Bilanz," in: Vierteljahreshefte für freie Geschichtsforschung, 5(4) (2001), pp. 387f.|
|||RGVA, 502-1-261, pp. 115-115a.|
|||In February 1943, there were 96 detainees in the construction office, RGVA, 502-1-256, pp. 171 -173.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-110, p. 13.|
|||In the registration stamp of "Planausgabebuch" there is an erroneous entry of "22.5.44" instead of 25.2.44.|
|||Cf. in this respect my study La "Central Construction Office der Waffen-SS und Polizei Auschwitz." Edizioni di Ar, 1998, p. 32; soon to be published by Theses & Dissertations Press in English under The Central Construction Office.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-110, p. 1a.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-95, p. 10a.|
|||RGVA, 502-2-95, p. 14.|
Additional information about this document
|Title:||The Morgues of the Crematoria at Birkenau in the Light of Documents|
|Sources:||The Revisionist 2(3) (2004), pp. 271-294|
|First posted on CODOH:||July 16, 2012, 7 p.m.|